Tuesday, May 19, 2009

The Most Difficult Shoot I have ever done

As a photographer, I am usually asked to photograph seniors, families, or events that are a celebration of something exciting to come: Something special. This photo shoot was just that, yet so different then any other shoot I have ever done. In fact, it WAS a major celebration of life and I believe that it was more special then I will EVER know. EVER, EVER, EVER know. I did the photography for this family on Saturday May 16, 2009 and sadly, Mr. Smith passed away 30 minutes after I posted the sneak peak, today, May 19, 2009.

For the Smith family, this photo shoot was a celebration of life and love for a father who was battling cancer. I usually put myself in the shoes of those that I am photographing, and I think about what they will want, and what they will like, what they are experiencing........and with this photo shoot. I lost it. I could hardly do what I had set out to do. I am so glad that I got to capture these moments for this family. To walk 20 minutes in their shoes was extremely difficult for me. I was honored to meet this family and witness their continuous strength during this time, as "Papa" has been battling cancer for three years, and he was in the final stages.

It's hard for me to write this, but what I found so emotionally heart wrenching about this shoot was seeing the LOVE that this family had for a husband, father, and grandfather. I had the opportunity to witness it through a camera lens, and it was so special...........words CANNOT begin to describe the emotion and story that was told through this family. To see his wife whisper in his ear nearly sent me to the house........what was she telling him??? Whatever it was, I know he could hear every word of it, and he was smiling on the inside.

I wish this family the best as I know there are many who are thinking about you and praying for your family! Your Papa is pain free now and I am so, so, so, so, so glad that I could do this for you!!!!!! It meant SO much to me. Like I said, usually my photo shoots are a celebration of something exciting to come: Heaven is most definitely something exciting to come, and your family knows your there smiling down on them.

Stay strong and thank you for this opportunity to capture these moments with your family!!!

Jenny

5 comments:

  1. This gives me chills Jenny... You did wonderful. I'm definitely praying for them & you as well. Take care of yourself. Love ya girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. as i am reading this so many thoughts are in my mind.. as one of my family members is not doing well.. prayers go out to this wonderful family.. Jenny you definately have that special touch.. great photos..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenny, I cry and cry each time I see this. I looked at your site the other day and then went to Rinehart's site and saw that he had passed. I cried like a baby. How blessed you are to have had to opportunity to capture and provide this last memory for this family. You are so blessed with a wonderful talent but most of all with the ability to see beyond the camera, into the lives of those you shoot. I will be praying for Rebecca and her family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenny where do I start,I am Patsy's sister,Rebecca's aunt! I was with them for about two months.This morning Patsy sent me a text telling me she found this yesterday for me to go read it! Today May 19th is a month of Joey's "Home Going".I can not thamk you enough for the courage it took you to do such an awesome shoot for Rebecca & family! Patsy was so worried that it would be bad weather and it would have crushed Rebecca if the shoot would not have happend.I was worried about how Joey would be and if he would be able to go through with it! GOD IS GOOD!! The weather looked bad but then it all cleared and was beautiful as captured in the photos! Just look how Beautiful the sky and trees are, Gods Loving handy work!THANK you Thank you so very much! God Bless as you use this wonderful talent for His glory.The photos are very good and a sweet memory & keep sake for us all.I miss my Joe but know he is at peace with our Father.Thank you for the thoughts and prayers always. HUGZ,Aunt Bea Bea(Brenda Skillman)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the beautiful memory in pictures you gave our family. As I go through each day with the memory of my friend, soulmate, and husband, Joey I try to remember God is in control. I question why, but realize He knows what is best even if I do not understand. It is hard to get up and go each day with the knowledge I will not be able to give Joey a kiss and hug I miss him terribly. Everyone says it gets better, but at this point it is too hurtful for me. I am lost and floundering through each day as I struggle to come back to work. Today Joey will be in heaven a month and Monday we would have celebrated 34 years of marriage and Sunday will be Father's Day all this together is making this a very difficult week and weekend.
    Thank you for the memories!!!

    ReplyDelete